Monday 11 January 2010

FAMILY "WARMTH" VERSUS FAMILY WEALTH

This "warmth v wealth..." argument is difficult.
Having dealt last year with a very young couple who felt that buying a Nintendo Wii for their 4 yr old was more important than paying the rent, I understand where Cameron is coming from.
However, I remember when, as a single parent, I was way too preoccupied by financial worries to give my young daughter the loving attention and - yes - probably the warmth that she desperately needed from me. My private worry-capsule was dominated by mortgage interest rates, the cost of heating my house and stretching the budget to go roller-skating.
So of course, I agree that a secure and happy family unit depends on more than material possessions; emotional warmth IS wealth in itself.
But, we must commit firmly to policies which address the social issues that lead to poverty if we are to make a real difference to our country.

2 comments:

  1. It makes me cringe to hear about that couple, whose priorities are to buy gadgets before paying the rent. Whereas we all want the best for our kids, the best has to be a roof over their heads and food on the table first, and activities/toys/luxuries second.

    I completely sympathise with you Jane - the balance between bringing home the dough to achieve priority 1 and having the time with family is very tough to achieve for anyone, especially for single parents, but like most people, you did your BEST and I'm quite sure your daughter knows that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agree Berenice and thank you for your kind comments.
    the couple in question are barely educated and victims themselves of dysfunctional backgrounds.
    They are neither intellectually nor emotionally equipped to deal with life's most basic decisions. This Government has failed them by not demanding that they take responsibility for their decisions.
    tough love is needed here - compassion tempered with practical and firm advice.

    ReplyDelete