Monday 4 January 2010

IT'S ABOUT DOING RIGHT

I'm often asked why I'm "in politics".

Being me, the answers are simple & pragmatic.

But firstly, it is certainly not about left or right.
Our world has grown far too complex and dangerous to take extreme political positions.
And anyway, this outdated "left/right" thing is not something that normal, non-political - people understand or relate to.
And it's normal people whom we seek to represent.

So - why am I in politics?

I want to be involved in growing solutions from the ground up.
Real people - real problems - real answers.
NOT studies, intiatives and endless self-justification.
As David Cameron says, giving control back to the individual.

I want to convince people that as individuals, we can make a practical difference to our communities and to our society as a whole.
And with this power comes responsibility - so it's not the Council, the Government or anyone else who should "do something". It's WE who should do something.

So, for me, it's not about left and right;
but about DOING right.
DOING right for ourselves, our communities, our country and our world.

Of course - there is a lot more to it and to what I believe - and I'll talk about where I stand on the issues another time.

But this is ""Why I'm in politics".

No comments:

Post a Comment