Wednesday 23 December 2009

FESTIVE MESSAGE TO SELF...

it doesn't matter if lunch is two minutes late.
it doesn't matter if James says (again) that Paxo was perfectly fine for his mother...
it doesn't matter if someone puts something away in the wrong place.
it doesn't matter if I find one of my better saucers under the vast rock pressing out the tongue.
It really doesn't.
it does matter if I spend the next three days in a sweaty panic and forget that this season is all about love.
it does matter if I forget to appreciate what we mean to each other.
it does matter if I behave differently at home from the way I behave in the street and in church.
it does matter if the point of all of this is submerged in goose fat and brandy butter.

We really can't expect to be magically transformed into the Disney fantasy by a roasted bird, glittery baubles and the Queen's speech. Real transformation takes rather more than that; but I hope that setting out from this perspective will mean happier memories, less guilt and fewer regrets after this year's festivities.

Happy Christmas - May we all experience great joy and deep peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment