Thursday 17 December 2009

RUGELACH...

Only a Jewish festival would bestow on its followers a divine command to eat deep-fried food...
But during Chanukah - the Jewish Festival of Lights - we wallow in doughnuts, latkes, zalabia and fried gefilte fish, as we remember the miracle of the oil.
One day's supply of Temple oil burned for eight whole days, so the Temple could be cleaned and reconsecrated.
It's the most wonderful, timeless feeling to know that candles have been lit to celebrate this festival down the ages since 162BC.
I've not succumbed to the fat-laden calories just yet; but making sure that noone round here will escape unscathed when I make rugelach.
Rugelach are sweet yeasted pastries, filled with chocolate or cinammon or jam or - well - anything really.
I'm creating a chocolate / peanut butter version tomorrow! Watch out Job Club...
It's getting me in the mood for Christmas cooking - yes - Chanukah and Christmas - or Chanu-mas as we call it.
Early pressies(Chanukah) - carols(Christmas) - cards(both) - candles (both) - making decorations for the tree - what's not to like?
But there is a problem. That tree. Do I eschew my lovely Christmas tree as a forbidden pagan ritual? Do I compromise with a glittery plastic version? Or do I tough it out, buy a tree and ignore the question for another year?

No comments:

Post a Comment