Thursday 31 December 2009

SHOULD AULD ACQUAINTANCE...


It's that time again.

The sands of 2009 are running out fast.


I'm not good at New Year's Eve - abrupt ending of comfortable familiarity and contrived expectation of shiny newness is just too much.

Melancholy sets in - particularly on a grey, raw day like this.

Apricot had the right idea this morning - see left.

My most memorable 31/12 was tequila-fuelled, at least I assume it was memorable. I only remember how I felt on 1/1.

One NYE, my sister's boyfriend dragged us to Trafalgar Square as he wanted to "mingle with the traditional throng". My sister and I decided to kiss a policeman - well, it used to be traditional - which we rather enjoyed, and so did the policeman; but mingling and thronging was just very cold.

So, my thronging days being over, I don't want to go out; but don't want to stay in either.

Can't face staying up till midnight; but really don't want to go to bed either.

It's like watching the ending of a film you've already seen.

However...

I'm actually well this year - no pleurisy; no 'flu, no shingles.
It has been the most amazing year that I can remember.

I 90% sorted out my office this afternoon. Getting there...

AND... on Channel 4, there's 20 best CBB moments, so it's not all bad.

2009 goal of reading minimum 2 new books per month was achieved - easily.

Some admittedly lightweight - Adrian Plass Churchmanship for one; On Royalty for another!

Some less so - Audacity of Hope; Netherland; Cameron on Cameron; Revolutionary Road...

Best book of 2009 - The Shack - by a country mile. Breathtaking.

First two for 2010; Celsius 7/7 (Michael Gove) and Abraham Lincoln (James McPherson).

...so - two hours to go.
May our New Year be peaceful, happy, healthy and fulfilling.

May we recognise how blessed we are and take time to savour this precious life we've been given.
xxJane





No comments:

Post a Comment